Getting proper sleep everyday has a direct impact on weight loss. Don’t just concentrate on the diet or exercise program but also try to change or adjust your sleeping habits so that you sleep at least 8 hours every day in order to lose weight effectively. A good way to test whether you are getting enough sleep is to see if you feel refreshed or worn out when you wake up. Time of sleep also plays a major role in maintaining your overall health. Try to hit the bed the same time every night. Proper sleep is particularly useful for fat loss; the more you sleep the less hungry you feel. Usually when people are following a diet plan to lose weight, they complain of negative results even though they try their best. Most of the time, these negative results are caused by lack of sleep.
To convince yourself that sleep loss may hinder your efforts of losing those extra pounds, try changing your sleeping pattern and see if you lose or gain weight. However, if you suffer from one of the sleep disorders then this is a genuine problem and should be addressed before you try to lose weight. Many of the sleep disorders found in people go unnoticed because they don’t realize the importance of sleep and simply ignore the fact that they are having problems. If you feel exhausted most of the time and have mood swings or lose your temper easily, it is a sign that your sleep pattern is not regular or you are not getting enough sleep. It is important that you develop a regular sleep pattern in order to succeed in your effort of losing weight. Some medical experts recently conducted a study in which they only asked a few women to sleep at least 8 hours a night to see if they lost any weight without going on a diet. The results were astonishing – by the end of 10 weeks most of the women had lost 7 to 15 lbs just by getting enough sleep!
Your environment and sleeping conditions largely determine your sleep pattern. For example, if you are not comfortable with your pillow or mattress, you will have difficulty sleeping. Moreover, your sleeping partner and his/her habits also play a major role in determining how easy it is for you to fall asleep. If you wake up many times during the night, due to any reason, you feel drowsy and keep yawning all day long. It not only affects your work but also has a negative effect on your health particularly if you plan on losing or maintaining your weight. If you are having weight problems, you might also be experiencing some sleeping disorders, such as sleep apnea the cause of which is excessive weight in most cases. The best way to cure this problem is to change your sleeping position and control your weight, instead of taking sleeping pills or tranquilizers.
Ways to Sleep More Peacefully
There are some things you can do or avoid before going to bed to get a good night’s sleep. Follow these tips to improve your quality of sleep:
- For one thing, having a healthy bedtime snack can make you sleepy so never forget to eat something before hitting the bed.
- Keep an optimum room temperature so that you don’t have to wake up in the middle of the night to adjust it or make other arrangements.
- If you feel uncomfortable sleeping with someone, for example someone who snores or stays awake till late night, then don’t share your bedroom with anyone.
- Adjust the lighting to a level you are comfortable with. It is recommended to sleep in complete darkness; however, those who are afraid of darkness can arrange for a dim light in their room to sleep peacefully.
- Keep the noise level down by closing the windows or installing a rug on top of a wooden floor.
- If doing a particular task like reading a book, taking a bath, or having a massage makes you sleepy, then make it a routine to perform these tasks before going to bed every night.
- If you are not feeling sleepy, don’t force yourself to sleep. Watch TV or walk around for 20 to 30 minutes and then go to bed.
Never undervalue the power of getting enough sleep, especially if you are on a weight loss diet.
Next Article ==> What Are Right Sitting Habits To Reduce Belly and Weight