What Are OTC Medicines?
Over the counter or OTC medicines are the drugs that can be easily available without any prescription of doctor. These are the medicines considered safe by the drug regulating authorities of any state and thus can be sold to the customer directly even without doctor’s prescription. The common OTC medicines are drugs to relieve pain, cold, cough, motion sickness and constipation etcetera.
1- Milk of Magnesia – Best Over The Counter Constipation Remedy
Milk of Magnesia is an osmotic laxative that fetches water from the surrounding tissues to the colon. The presence of water in colon softens the stool and helps in passing of stool easily. It is a highly effective OTC medicine that shows result in half an hour to 6 hours depending on the condition of the patient.
- Best for occasional constipation only
- Available in two forms tablets and powder
- Long term use may damage colon
- Interferes with other medications
- Not suitable for pregnancy and during kidney issues
In case of liquid drug:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons for children of 6-11 years
- 2 to 4 tablespoon for older children and adults
In case of tablets the dose is determined with respect to age so it is suggested to follow the instruction written on the label.
2- Colace Is Great OTC Constipation Remedy
Colace is a stool softener used for curing occasional constipation and constipation caused by medical conditions. It increases the amount of water provided to the stool in the gut that results in softer and easy to pass stool. It is one of the best constipation remedies.
- Best for problem at the start
- Suitable for constipation caused as a side effect of a disease
- Shows results within 1-3 days
- Not for pregnant or breastfeeding mothers
- Swelling and rashes
- Tighten chest
Adults: 100mg capsules 1-3 daily for a week
Children aging 2 to 12: 50mg capsules 1-3 daily
Children aging above 12: 50mg capsules 1-6
3- Fibercon Fiber Supplement OTC Constipation Remedy
Fibercon is a bulk forming fiber supplement that helps in movement of the intestine by bulking of stool and desired amount of water in intestine. It’s an OTC remedy for constipation showing results within 12hours-3 days.
- Maintains regular bowel movement
- Starts working in a very short time
- Fiber supplement available in tablets
- Abdominal fullness
- Stomach cramps
A capsule 1-4 times a day, depending on the condition, is normally sufficient but it is highly advised to ask for a doctor or follow the instructions on the label to avoid any negative impact.
- Take 1 glass of water with every dose compulsorily
- Do not use for a long time
- For liquid drug shake the bottle before every dose
- Measure with given measurement cup only
- Consult doctor immediately if severe symptoms seen