Definition: What is Bloating in The Stomach
Bloating refers to the swelling of the abdominal area due to air or gas in gastrointestinal tract. Bloating is undoubtedly a very embarrassing condition but is faced by almost every tenth person on the earth. Bloating must not be misunderstood as a fat mass collection around the stomach; it is only an accumulation of gas in the intestine that causes swelling. Although bloating is not a serious matter but demands a visit to doctor if caused frequently.
What Causes Bloating in The Stomach
Bloating is the result of excess gas accumulated in intestine. Some other factors are also there that can cause bloated stomach in our daily routine. Following are most common reasons for bloating after eating:
- Loss of appetite or overeating
- Water retention in body
- Daily medication
- Premenstrual and Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Hormonal imbalance and thyroid dysfunction
Signs and Symptoms of Excessive Gas and Bloating in The Stomach
A swollen strange bloated stomach is the apparent symptom. Other symptoms may be like:
- Back pain
- Brain fogging
- Stomach feels bloated and tender
Relationship Between Painful Bloated Stomach and Back Pain
In many patients the bloating can cause pain in the abdomen (tummy) and lower back. The reason of pain in stomach of abdomen is enlargements, tightening and hardening of stomach due to gas, air or wind. In the cases of chronic and severe bloating extra pressure is applied to the muscles of lower back. This can also cause pain in the lower back area of patient’s body. If you are suffering from lower back pain and you are also a patient of bloating, then you must tell your physician about this. This will help in diagnosis and right treatment for your back pain.
5 Best Natural Home Remedies To Get Rid of Gas and Bloating in Stomach
People often ask “what can i take for stomach bloating” OR “what to take for a bloating gassy stomach”. There is no single answer for such type of questions. In fact, there are many ways to treat and cure the bloated gassy stomach. In this section I am going to discuss how to get rid of bloating just using daily routine kitchen items at home. These home remedies are better to adopt rather than heavy medication for bloating as it is not a serious medical condition.
1- Using Fennel Seeds Is A Natural Way To Get Rid of Gas and Bloating
The best home remedy for bloating is taking fennel seeds either in raw or with hot water. This is a very effective Grandmother’s tip to get rid of bloated abdomen. Fennel seeds can be taken in different ways for this purpose.
- Chew on funnel seeds after having a heavy meal.
- Massaging the abdomen with fennel seed oil also helps in fast relief of bloating.
- Fennel seeds tea 2 to 3 times a day also helps in releasing gas form the stomach. The tea can be made in following way.
- Add 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds in 1 cup hot water and cover it for 10 minutes. Then strain and drink this tea with honey and lemon for instant relief.
2- Ginger As An Effective Home Remedy For Bloated Stomach and Gas
Ginger is the best home remedy to relieve bloating as it pushes the gas struck into the intestine out of the body. The presence of gingerols and shogaols in ginger relax the intestinal muscles and restrict production of bad bacteria in colon.
- Use ginger in daily cooking.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger or its juice whenever needed for instant relief.
- Massage of ginger oil in combination with some other oil is as effective as eating ginger.
- Chewing ginger may be inconvenient so it is better to add a piece of fresh ginger in hot water to make tea. Three time consumption of this tea in a day will relieve heavy stomach and bloating.
3- Use Peppermint Remedies For Bloating and Wind
The presence of menthol oil in peppermint helps in relaxation of digestive tract muscles that in turn makes passing of food and air through tract possible and convenient. The fragrance and taste of peppermint makes it pleasant to consume it as a food. Bloating and wind of stomach can be cured using peppermint in different ways.
- Chewing raw leaves of peppermint help in instant relief of intestinal gas.
- 2 to 3 drops of peppermint oil in a cup of cold water also soothe the tract muscle and eliminate bloating.
- A handful of fresh leaves of mint infused in a cup of hot water also relieve the bloating instantly.
- Dried mint leaves boiled in water for 5 to 10 minutes also eliminate pain and bloating of stomach.
- A mixture of mint leaves with salt and baking soda taken with lukewarm water is a quick remedy for stomach bloating.
4- Lemon Water As A Perfect Bloated Gassy Stomach Remedy
The acidic phenomenon of lemon helps in quick and efficient digestion of the food that leads to no accumulation of gas in the intestine. Also lemon is a good detoxifier as it stimulates the liver enzyme to work efficiently.
- Chewing of lemon peel after rich meal quickly digests the food and refrains bloating.
- Squeezing lemon in green tea or ginger tea helps in active metabolism and relieves bloating.
- A regular intake of 2 tablespoon lemon juice in one cup of hot water on empty stomach reduces the chances of bloating.
5- Anise Seed Is Another Herbal Natural Remedy For Flatulence and Bloating
Anti spasmodic features of aniseed (Pimpinella Anisum) help in soothing digestive tract and push out gas out of the intestine. Anise seeds can be taken either directly or in recipes and even in tea for instant results for flatulence and bloating in abdomen or stomach.
- Chew well one teaspoon of aniseed for instant relief.
- Make aniseed part of your daily cooking routine.
- Let steep 1 teaspoon of aniseed in 1 cup of boiling water by covering it for 15 minutes. The intake of this tea either before or after food intake provides relief to bloating quickly.
- Regular intake of ½ teaspoon of the mixture of aniseed and celery seeds in the ratio of 1 and 2 respectively can prevent bloating of stomach very effectively.
List of Foods Good For Gas And Bloating Patients:
Checkout this info-graphic listing some common foods that are good for the people suffering from gas and bloating in stomach.
Water Retention and Bloating In Women Before Menstruation:
In some women the reason of bloating is water retention before their menstruation starts. The problem is called PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome) and water retention is a main sign of of this syndrome. In some women the water retention can be severe and can cause bloating and pain in abdomen. Usually the water retention starts about 10-14 days before the beginning of menstrual cycle. Doctors believe that hormonal changes and heredity are main causes of water retention and bloating in women. It is also believed that deficiency of some vitamins can also lead to this issue.
Natural Remedies For Water Retention and Bloating in Women With PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome):
The first step to control bloating and fluid retention is to change your life style and habits. This includes:
i- Do Regular Physical Work:
Try to do regular physical work during day time and keep your body busy and working. This trick helps in lowering the water retention and hence bloating in many patients.
ii- Less Intake of Salt, Sodium and Processed Food:
Controlling the intake of salt, sodium and processed food can lower the symptoms of PMS resulting in lesser water retention and lesser bloating or pain in the stomach. Try to use lesser salt in your food and avoid foods that are rich in sodium like soups, soy sauce, deli meats and canned vegetables.
iii- Take Good and Healthy Food:
By taking higher quantities of vegetables, seeds, fruits, whole grains every day can lower the water retention and bloating in many women.
iv – Avoid Alcohol and Caffeine:
Alcohol and caffeine products (tea, smoking etc) can aggravate the symptoms of PMS resulting in more fluid retention and bloating. Avoid them especially 2 weeks before your menstrual cycle.
Medicines and Supplements to Control Bloating Due to Water Retention in Women:
The above mentioned home remedies and tips are found to be very effective for most of the women suffering from PMS. But even after applying these remedies you are not getting results then you can use certain medicines (with the permission of your doctor, of course) to control PMS symptoms including fluid retention and bloated painful tummy.
i- Water Pills or Diuretics:
Water pills or diuretics are medicines that increase the urination or reduce the accumulation of water/fluid in the body. By taking these medicines patient urinates more and excessive water is excreted out from the body. This lowers the water retention and and it associated disadvantages like pain and bloating in stomach. Please note that these diuretic medicines have some side effects and you must ask your physician before using them.
ii- Oral Contraceptives:
Taking oral contraceptives (birth control pills) prevent the process of ovulation. As symptoms of PMS are associated with menstrual cycle, by preventing ovulation most of the signs like bloating and water retention are controlled. But don’t forget to ask your doctor before using these medicines.
iii- Dietary Supplements:
Deficiency of certain vitamins can increase the symptoms of PMS. That’s why by taking certain dietary supplements the water retention and bloating in women with PMS can be controlled. These dietary supplements include Vitamin E, Vitamin B, Magnesium and Calcium.
How To Cure Bloating in Pregnant Women:
One of the common symptoms and signs of early pregnancy is the accumulation of gas in the body resulting in bloating and painful stomach.
Why Gas Accumulation and Bloating Occurs During Pregnancy?
The reasons of gas accumulation in pregnant women are different from a normal person (male or female). One of the main factors is that Progesterone hormone is produced in more quantities in pregnant women. Due to this hormone digestion becomes slower and as a result gas production, bloating, burping and flatulence occurs in the digestive tract of women.
Other factors of bloating in pregnant women include Uterine Swelling, Constipation and Weight Gain during early weeks of pregnancy (especially first 8 weeks).
Natural Remedies to Cure Gas and Bloating in Pregnant Women:
Bloating and gas production and accumulation is greater in the first few months of pregnancy and it is reduced in the later months. In starting months women can control the level of bloating and gas in stomach by using following natural home remedies:
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids (water and fresh juices)
- Instead of eating 3 meals, eat 6-7 meals with smaller quantities of food.
- Eat slowly so that food is properly and easily digested.
- Eating plenty of fiber rich foods will improve digestion and there will be less gas and bloating. Examples of such foods are apples, carrots, yams, oatmeal, pears etc.
- Don’t eat gas producing and slowly digesting foods like broccoli, onions, beans and cabbage etc.
- Do daily exercise that are safe during pregnancy. Exercise will improve your all body functions including digestive and excretory system resulting in lesser gas and bloated painful stomach.
- If you are suffering from constipation during pregnancy, try to cure and avoid it by using natural laxatives like honey, ispaghula etc with the permission of your doctor.
What Are Homeopathic Remedies for Gas and Bloating:
Homeopathy is a very famous treatment method and is considered as one of the most safest ways to treat different diseases, medical conditions and ailments. Usually there are no side effects of using homeopathic medicines unlike conventional Allopathic medicines.
Following is the list of common homeopathic remedies and medicines for gas and bloating in stomach:
- Carbo Veg
- Abies Can
- Magnesium Phos
Please note that only an experienced homeopathic doctor can suggest you the right homeopathic medicines by looking at the detailed symptoms and overall condition. Above mentioned homeo medicines for bloated stomach and gas can be given to patients after considering and studying different factors. For example, Graphites is good for patients who have bloated stomach and also suffering from constipation.
Don’t ever try to use any homeopathic medicines on your own.
What OTC Medicines To Take For Bloated Stomach?
In above lines I have mentioned some best natural remedies and homeopathic medicines to cure bloating. Many people also ask “What is the Best Over the Counter Medicine For Bloated Stomach”. Here is the answer.
One of the best over the counter (OTC) medicine for gas, bloating and constipation is MiraLAX. It is recommended to ask your physician for the right dosage and right time to take this allopathic OTC medicine for bloating.
What is the Best Probiotic For Gas and Bloating?
Are you wondering what are probiotics? These are actually micro-organisms (bacteria) present inside the body of human beings and are referred as “useful bacteria” or “friendly bacteria”. The reason is that they fight against bad bacteria in the body to eliminate diseases. The good thing is that probiotics bacteria are also found in some food items (like yogurt). You can take these foods rich in probiotics to treat many conditions using food.
It is found that using a probiotic called “Bacillus Coagulans” the problem of bloating, gas and wind in abdomen can be reduced.
Video: Explaining What is Bloating, Its Causes and Treatment Methods:
This is a short 1 minute (64 Seconds) video that explains what actually is bloating and gas, what are symptoms, how it is caused and what can you do to cure this intestinal problem. Checkout video:
- Homeopathic Remedies for Bloating and Gas (https://homeopathica.com/homeopathic-remedies-bloated-abdomen/)
- Reasons of Bloated Stomach (https://draxe.com/bloated-stomach/)
- Can Probiotics help in bloating, gas and wind? (http://www.livestrong.com/article/505352-do-probiotics-help-with-digestion-gas-bloating/)
- Common Foods and Fruits Good For Bloated and Gassy Abdomen (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2632723/Gluten-DOESNT-cause-bloating-actually-little-known-FODMAPs-blame.html)
- Bloating and Water Retention in Women Due to PMS (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/water-retention/art-20044983?pg=1)
- Curing Bloating and Gassy Stomach During Pregnancy (http://www.momjunction.com/articles/remedies-bloating-pregnancy_0075362/#gref)