What is Karo Syrup?
Karo syrup is a corn syrup prepared commercially from starch of the maize (corn). It is a wonderful replacement of sugar and a magical laxative for children especially infants. Karo syrup is a dark thick sweet liquid available in three different varieties varying with respect to color, concentration and manufacturing process.
Why and When Karo Syrup Is Used
Karo syrup is a product of corn processed commercially. Being extracted from corn starch it provides a number of health benefits if used as a sweetener. It is cost effective and highly effective laxative syrup. It is a grandmother remedy to soften the stool in bottle-fed babies.
Karo syrup is used:
- When light sweetness is desired
- To add moisture, volume and soft texture to food
- To avoid sugar crystallization
- To cure infant constipation
Benefits of Karo Syrup
Karo syrup is highly beneficial in different ways being natural syrup extracted from corn starch. Key benefits include:
- One of the Best laxatives and constipation remedies for infants
- Cheaper than sugar
- Best preservative for foods and beverages
- Best humectant
Disadvantages of Karo Syrup
Karo syrup although a magical liquid for bottle feeding babies to soften their stool but still the excessive use of this syrup causes major issues like:
- Limited hunger satisfaction
- Chances of obesity and heart diseases
- Botulism and disturbed metabolism
Preferred Quantities and Doses of Karo Syrup For Constipation
Karo syrup is highly effective liquid to treat infant constipation. But the condition can become worse if the syrup is not given carefully. Inadequate dose of syrup may not produce desired results as well as an overdose may lead to diarrhoea. 2 to 3 tablespoons of Karo syrup consumed in a whole day divided in two to three times is considered to be enough for the problem by physicians.
1- How Much Karo Syrup For Infant Constipation Should Be Used
As per the suggestion of the doctors taking a start from 2 teaspoons of Karo syrup is sufficient for infants. The amount can be increased to 3 teaspoons if needed.
2- How Much Karo Syrup For Toddler Constipation
Toddlers can have relief from constipation if given a glass of water with 3 teaspoons of Karo syrup several times a day.
Preparation of Karo Syrup For Infant Constipation Treatment
Formula milks being extracted from artificial sources cause more chances of constipation in infants than breastfeeding babies. Karo syrup is a good option for such babies to get rid of this problem.
- Prepare milk for baby as per routine in a clean utensil and add 1 teaspoon Karo syrup per 4 ounces of milk. Heat the ready solution and pour in to the bottle. Gently shake the bottle before feeding the baby.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Karo syrup in 2 ounce water and give the baby twice/thrice a day.
The quantity of Karo syrup can be adjusted as per the condition of the baby but it is better to consult any practitioner if the problem is not solved within a day after using syrup.