What is Pregnancy Constipation
Constipation is a very common phenomenon in women while they are pregnant. The basic reason of constipation during pregnancy is the increased amount of progesterone hormone that relaxes the muscles of the body including intestinal tract thus digestion system slows that leads to constipation. Almost half of women suffer from constipation during pregnancy.
What Causes Constipation in Pregnant Women
Low fiber food and hormonal change are the apparent causes of constipation in women during pregnancy. Some other factors causing this problem are
- Low fiber food
- Iron supplements
- Vaginal expansion
- Lack of movement
- Hormones responsible for preparation of pelvis for labor make the digestive system slower that causes constipation during pregnancy
What Are Symptoms and Signs of Constipation During Pregnancy
Symptoms of constipation in pregnant women are
- Limited bowel movement
- Unsatisfactory excretion
- Hard stool
- Lack of appetite
- Abdominal cramps and bloating
- Rectal bleeding
Best and Harmless Home Remedies to Cure Constipation During Pregnancy
Medication is not a good idea to cure constipation in pregnant women. Natural home remedies can help a lot in getting rid of constipation in women during pregnancy.
1- Lemon Water in The Morning Can Relieve Pregnancy Constipation
Lemon water is the best remedy to cure constipation in pregnant women. A glass of warm water with lemon juice early in the morning can help women to get rid of constipation during pregnancy.
- Take a glass of lukewarm water and squeeze a lemon in it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and drink it first thing in the morning on regular basis.
2- Watermelon Seeds Tea For Curing Constipation During Pregnancy
Watermelon seeds tea is the famous midwives’ remedy for constipation in pregnant women. Watermelon is a big source of water that helps in maintaining bowel movement properly and curing constipation.
- Eating a lot of watermelon during pregnancy relieves constipation.
- Boil watermelon seeds in water for 5 to 10 minutes. Then take this tea until the problem is solved.
3- Chamomile Tea Is The Best Natural Remedy For Constipation During Pregnancy
Chamomile tea has been proven as a best natural remedy for constipation during pregnancy for centuries. Chamomile tea also solves insomnia problem in pregnant women and relaxes frazzled nerves.
- Rinse the chamomile flowers with cold water.
- Boil a cup of water and add flowers in it.
- Cover it for 5 minutes and strain afterwards.
- Add honey and drink.
4- Raisins Are Safe Natural Laxatives for Pregnant Women
Raisins are powerful natural laxatives full of fiber. Raisins can help pregnant women to cure constipation without any side effect. Raisins can be used for this purpose in following way
- Soak about a handful of raisins in water for the whole night.
- Eat these soaked raisins in morning empty stomach.
5- Dry or Ripe Figs Are Natural Sources To Cure Constipation During Pregnancy
Figs are natural remedy of constipation for pregnant women both as dry and ripe. Figs can be used in following ways to solve constipation
- Boil few figs in milk and drink it warm before going to bed.
- Soak 2 to 3 pieces of figs overnight and eat in the morning empty stomach for relief of constipation.
- Fig can also be taken to relieve constipation without soaking in the morning.
6- Fiber Rich Flaxseeds Are Natural Sources to Prevent and Treat Constipation
Flaxseeds contain fiber that helps women to avoid constipation and its symptoms during pregnancy. Flaxseed can be taken in any of following ways.
- Take a handful of flaxseeds early in morning with warm water.
- Add flaxseed in cereal daily.
7- Edible Oils Like Castor, Olive and Coconut Oil Are Natural Laxatives
Different edible oils also help a lot for relieving the constipation issue in pregnant women. Castor oil, olive oil and coconut oil are the sure shot remedies of constipation for centuries.
- Take a spoon of castor oil either raw or in warm glass of water.
- Take one tablespoon of coconut oil before every meal to lubricate the stool.
- Take one tablespoon of olive oil before having food to soften stool.
- Rubbing organic oil like virgin coconut or olive oil can also help in getting rid of constipation during pregnancy.
8- Spinach Juice For Severe Constipation During Pregnancy
Spinach juice help in curing even the most stubborn constipation. Spinach has the ability of cleaning renewing and even rebuilding intestinal tract.
- Eat spinach either boiled or cooked on regular basis.
- Mix 100 ml raw spinach juice in same quantity of water and drink it two times a day for stubborn constipation conditions.
More Safe Natural Home Remedies to Prevent and Eliminate Constipation in Pregnant Women
Some other useful home remedies for constipation during pregnancy are
- Take one Orange in the morning and one in the evening with white peel.
- Eat Guavas with seeds.
- Take Psyllium husk with a warm glass of milk before going to bed.
- Stew half cup of dried apricots or prunes with one cup water until the fruit is soft. Then mash the fruit thoroughly in water and drink the whole mixture empty stomach.
- Increase fluid intake especially cabbage soup.
- Take a cup of warm milk with sugar before going to sleep.
- Add soups, green salads, carrot with peel, black beans, chick peas, eggs, nuts and sunflower and pumpkin seeds in your daily diet.
Safe Homeopathic Medicines and Remedies to Cure Constipation During Pregnancy
To cure and treat mild or severe constipation during pregnancy special care should be taken. In homeopathy there are several good medicines that can cure constipation without causing any harm to fetus. When right homeopathic medicines are given, the bowel movement becomes normal and patient feels relieved and comfortable.
Following is the list of common homeopathic medicines that can be given to cure pregnancy constipation:
- Nux Vomica
A homeopathic doctor will carefully study the symptoms before suggesting a right medicine with right dose and potency. Please don’t take homeopathic medicines mentioned here without asking your Homeo Doctor.