What is Constipation?
It is a very common ailment, which affects everyone at least once in their lifetime. It corresponds to difficulty in passing feces. The abnormal bowel movement leads to constipation which should be treated as soon as possible. Every person has different cycle of digestion, but generally if you do not pass feces for more than three days in a row then it is diagnosed as a case of constipation.
What Are Common Signs and Symptoms of Constipation in Adults
The symptoms include hard stool which is passed after several days. The itching and pain is followed, and in some cases the patients have a swollen belly. The distention in the stomach makes the tummy hard like a stone. Some people feel nausea and headache as well. For infants constipation read my detailed article remedies for infant constipation.
What Causes Constipation in Adults
- The foremost cause is the inactive lifestyle.
- Dehydration and lack of fiber in the diet is also a significant reason.
- Stress and tension disrupts the eating timings, which if done on regular basis can lead to constipation.
- Colon cancer and Hypothyroidism are diagnosed by this ailment too.
- Dairy products are not suitable for everyone. They cause digestive disorders like diarrhea and constipation in lactose intolerant people.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Parkinson’s disease can be the underlying cause too.
- Pregnancy can cause constipation too. See pregnancy constipation remedies.
Top 9 Home Remedies For Constipation in Adults
There are plenty of effective and easy home remedies to cure it completely.
1- Keep Your Body Hydrated
Keep yourself extra hydrated by drinking extra 4 glasses of water throughout the day.
2- Warm Milk+Honey to Cure Constipation
You can never go wrong with a warm cup of milk to cure this problem. Add a tablespoon of honey if the condition has prolonged. Take it before bedtime.
3- Warm Milk+Olive Oil Can Help Curing Constipation Both in Adults and Kids
Milk is a sure blessing. The best remedy which uses milk is the most effective one. Add a tablespoon of castor oil or olive oil in a warm cup of milk and have it just before bedtime. Both of the oils lubricate the intestines and make the stool softer so that you can pass it with ease.
4- Did You Try Psyllium Husk With Warm Milk To Treat Your Constipation?
The psyllium husk is an ancient remedy which gives 100% result. Again, add a tablespoon or two of husk in a cup of warm milk and gulp it down just before bedtime. The husk absorbs the liquid inside the digestive tract and enlarges the size of the stool while making it soft.
5- Fiber Rich Food Can Help in Constipation
Use the food enriched with fiber like vegetables and fruits. Beans, broccoli, oranges, guavas etc are sure to lessen your digestive issue. And always remember to eat the fruits with their skin on!
6- Take Yogurt Daily
Yogurt is an excellent pro-biotic which aids in improving this condition.
7- Drink the Juice of Prunes For Constipation Problem
Prunes are a wonderful remedy for constipation. Eat them or drink their juice, it is effective in every way.
8- Take Whole Grain Food Instead of Processed Food To Help Constipation Issue
It is advisable to consume the whole grain foods as much as possible. This major dietary change from processed food to whole grain foods does not make you healthy, but major issues like constipation are bound to leave you forever.
9- Take Daily Dose of Iron Rich Foods
Consume the iron rich foods like beans, meat and even iron supplements with vitamin C. Squeeze lemon on the top or take Vitamin C enriched juice when you eat such foods as they are known to cause less bowel movements. The citric foods make it easy to digest them.
What to Do in Case of Chronic Constipation in Adults?
In above lines, I have mentioned number of natural and home remedies to cure constipation. Usually home remedies are the easiest and effective ways to cure constipation and there are no side effects using them. But if the problem persists even after trying natural or home remedies then you should consult your physician. The constipation is termed as chronic constipation if it persist for more than 6 months. In this case there may be some more complex reasons of this issue. Your habits, life style, eating habits, sleeping habits, working hours all may be affecting you.
In some cases the chronic constipation is also associated with depression, anxiety or some mental stress. In these cases, normal medication may not be sufficient. The patient must go through proper checkup and also consult a good psychotherapist to cure the chronic constipation.
More Information and Articles About Constipation:
I have talked about different topics related to constipation in adults, infants and pregnant women. For more details check them out:
- How To Relieve Constipation in Infants Using Natural Home Remedies
- Home Remedies to Cure Constipation During Pregnancy
- 8 Month Baby Constipation Remedies
- Best Over The Counter Remedies For Constipation
- Can I Give My Infant Prune Juice For Constipation?
- Does Norco Cause Constipation
- Does Norvasc Cause Constipation
- Does Diflucan Cause Constipation
- Can I Use Ayurvedic Churna For Constipation
- How Much Karo Syrup for Infant Constipation
- Coconut Oil for Infant Constipation
- Milk of Magnesia for Infant Constipation
- Karo Syrup For Infant Constipation Side Effects
- Three Year Old Constipation Remedy
- Does Garcinia Cambogia Cause Constipation
- Suboxone Constipation Remedies
- Breastfed Baby Constipation Remedies