Table of Contents
- Definition- What Are Hiccups
- What Are Usual Causes of Hiccups
- 6 Effective Home Remedies to Get Rid of Hiccups Fast
- Medical Treatments for Complicated Cases of Hiccups
Definition- What Are Hiccups
The foremost thought on hiccups is that they are extremely annoying. According to medical sciences hiccups are the involuntary contractions of the diaphragm which are caused due to several reasons. They are mostly harmless but if their duration continues up to three hours then it is advisable to consult a doctor.
What Are Usual Causes of Hiccups
Apparently hiccups are a common phenomenon but there are a number of underlying diseases which can be causing the spasms in the diaphragm. Few reasons are:
- Eating food very quickly causes air to get trapped in the food pipe, which can trigger hiccups. Chewing a gum can also be a reason.
- Brain trauma or any nerve blocking disease can be diagnosed by hiccups.
- The irritation of the liver or other organs might cause inflammation in the diaphragm.
- Alcohol and fizzy drinks irritate your stomach, and as a result you end up hiccupping out aloud.
- Acid Reflux is also a probable cause.
- Few medications are responsible as well.
6 Effective Home Remedies to Get Rid of Hiccups Fast
There is a fair chance to control hiccups by using simple home remedies. You might not need any thing at all to get rid of these annoying spasms, and that too without consuming any time.
1- Get Rid of Hiccups Using Lots of Water
Drink lots of water without losing any breath. It is tried and tested remedy which never fails.
2- Change Breathing Cycle to Stop Hiccups Fast
Develop a different breathing cycle when you cannot end the hiccups. Inhale as much as you can, then control your breath. Stay like this for a while, and then inhale again. Do this again, and then exhale completely. Breathe normally and notice that you aren’t hiccupping anymore. And you are done.
3- Surprise Me So That I can Forget About My Hiccups
Ask someone to surprise you, as a sudden involuntary action will resolve this issue at once.
4- Talk Quickly
Talk quickly without losing your breath. In many cases this will give you relief.
5- Yoga and Pilates to Stop Hiccups
Meditation and relaxing techniques like Yoga and Pilates are highly beneficial to de-stress. If the hiccups are caused as a reaction to stress and tension.
6- Use Honey or Sugar to Get Rid of The Hiccups
Using sugar is also a home remedy. Place few sugar crystals on the back of the tongue. You can also use honey to cure hiccups fast.
Medical Treatments for Complicated Cases of Hiccups
A normal case of hiccups is solved easily by deploying the simple home remedies. However if they grow persistent then they are no less than a symptom of some serious disease. It is preferred to consult a doctor in such cases. It is not advised to try to treat hiccups in babies and newborn yourself. The physicians better know about how to get rid of hiccups in a baby or newborn.
- Anesthesia is prescribed to prepare the sufferer for surgical procedure.
- A normal dose of tranquilizer is also useful in relaxing the muscles to control hiccups.
- The medications for convulsions are prescribed in some cases.
- Rubbing or massaging the throat with mild oil will soothe the tension in the diaphragm.
- Aroma therapy is always beneficial in treating such actions. Close your eyes and meditate.
- Initially the cause of the hiccups is understood. For example, if the problem is related to the nerves directly then a neurologist is consulted. For issues related with throat or esophagus an ENT (Ears, Nose and Throat) should be consulted.
- Anti allergies are prescribed if the hiccups are caused due to an allergy.
Hiccups are seldom life threatening, but they should never be left ignored. Facial palsy and even severe brain damage might be caused if they are not treated in time.