Table of Contents
- Jaundice Definition – What is Jaundice?
- What is Neonatal Jaundice?
- What Causes Jaundice?
- What Are Signs and Symptoms of Jaundice?
- What Are Symptoms of Neonatal Jaundice?
- What is The Main Reason of Development of Jaundice in Newborn Babies?
- Is There Any Need to Treat Jaundice of My Newborn Baby?
- What Are Risk Factors For Neonatal Jaundice?
- 8 Best Natural Home Remedies To Treat Jaundice in Adults
- 1- Tomatoes Juice For Normal Liver Function and Curing Jaundice
- 2- Use Barley to Detox Your Body and Cure Jaundice
- 3- Turmeric Can Recover Damaged Liver and Help in Treatment of Jaundice
- 4- Lemon Juice Can Excrete Extra Bilirubin From Body and Help Jaundice Patients
- 5- Sugarcane Maintains Sugar Level, Lowers Acid Levels and Helps in Curing Jaundice
- 6- Ginger Ensures Proper Live Function in Jaundice Patients
- 7- Almonds Detoxify Blood, Heals Infections and Make Liver Healthy
- 8- Use Papaya to Make Your Liver Healthy and Cure Jaundice At Home
- Home Remedies For Jaundice In Newborn Babies
- Homeopathic Treatment For Jaundice in Adults and Neonates/Newborns
- Ayurvedic Treatment and Home Remedies For Jaundice
Jaundice Definition – What is Jaundice?
Jaundice may not be considered as a disease but it is a sign of some other disease like liver disorder or hepatitis. Jaundice gives yellow color to the skin or white part of the eye due to increased level of bilirubin in bloodstream.
What is Neonatal Jaundice?
When Jaundice occurs in newborn babies then it is called neonatal jaundice. The skin and white part of eyes of child become yellowish. This is a harmless condition and is very common in newborn babies. This condition in newborn babies is also referred as “breastfeeding jaundice” because it mostly occurs when baby is breastfeeding.
Jaundice is a very common condition in newborn babies. Usually 60% of newborn babies start showing symptoms of Jaundice after 2-3 days. About 80% of premature born babies suffer from neonatal jaundice in first week after delivery.
What Causes Jaundice?
There may be several causes of jaundice in different patients. Some common reasons are listed below:
- Medicines (side effects of medicines)
- Genetic syndrome
- Blood and liver diseases
- Blocking of bile duct
- Malarial infection
What Are Signs and Symptoms of Jaundice?
Yellow color of white part of eye is the most common symptom of jaundice. Other symptoms of jaundice include:
- Yellowish skin and sclera of eye
- Abdominal and liver pain
- Weight loss
- Nausea and fever
- Paler stool
- Darker urine
- Loss of appetite
What Are Symptoms of Neonatal Jaundice?
Following are the most common signs and symptoms of jaundice in newborn babies or breastfeeding babies. These symptoms start appearing 2-3 days after birth.
- Skin becomes yellow
- White area of eyes becomes yellow
- Soles of feet or palms of hands of newborn become yellowish
- Urine of baby becomes dark yellow in color (normally urine of newborn baby is colorless)
- The stools or poo of baby become pale (normally it’s color should be orange or yellow)
What is The Main Reason of Development of Jaundice in Newborn Babies?
Newborn babies have high numbers of RBCs (Red Blood Cells) in their bodies. These RBCs are destroyed and new RBCs are formed very frequently in their bodies. During the breaking of old RBCs the bilirubin (a yellow colored substance) is produced. As liver of newborn babies is not fully functional, the excessive bilirubin cannot be excreted out of the body. This results in the development of Jaundice symptoms like yellowish skin and eyes.
Is There Any Need to Treat Jaundice of My Newborn Baby?
In most of the cases, within 2 weeks, the liver of newborn babies become functional enough to remove the excessive bilirubin from the body. At this stage the jaundice symptoms start disappearing and newborn baby becomes normal without taking any medicines or treatments.
What Are Risk Factors For Neonatal Jaundice?
Please note that if Jaundice appears in newborn baby right after the birth (within 24 hours of delivery), the condition should be taken seriously. This condition may be due to some other health problem. In this case proper care and treatment is necessary. Consult your doctor immediately.
8 Best Natural Home Remedies To Treat Jaundice in Adults
1- Tomatoes Juice For Normal Liver Function and Curing Jaundice
Lycopene present in tomatoes purify blood and normalize liver function and recovers jaundice fast.
- Take five tomatoes and boil then in two cups of water for about 15 minutes.
- Remove skin and blend these tomatoes.
- Extract juice of tomatoes and add pinch of salt and pepper to it.
- Take one glass of juice daily on empty stomach for two weeks for faster recovery.
2- Use Barley to Detox Your Body and Cure Jaundice
Barley works as a diuretic that helps in washing away toxins and bilirubin as well from the body.
- Make a solution of 1 cup of barley in 3 liters of water. Let it simmer for few hours and then strain and allow cooling. Drink 4 to 5 glasses of it daily with salt or sugar and lemon juice until problem is solved.
- A solution of one teaspoon of powder of roasted barley in one glass of water twice a day also helps in curing jaundice.
3- Turmeric Can Recover Damaged Liver and Help in Treatment of Jaundice
Turmeric detoxifies liver due to the presence of curcumin compound. It not only prevents damage of liver but also recovers it fast.
- Daily intake of hot water solution containing a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder, 3 to 4 times a day can overcome the problem of jaundice in a few week.
- Another way to cure jaundice is to drink one glass of hot water daily with one teaspoon turmeric powder, fresh lemon juice, one teaspoon of honey and pinch of cayenne pepper mixed properly.
4- Lemon Juice Can Excrete Extra Bilirubin From Body and Help Jaundice Patients
Lemon has the property to heal liver and stimulate urine production to excrete bilirubin through body via urine. It also activates bile’s production and increases mineral absorption. Lemon can be taken in following ways to cure jaundice
- Juice of half lemon in one glass of water three times a day for almost four weeks.
- The aforesaid lemon juice can also be taken with a pinch of salt for best results.
- Steep up to 10 lemon leaves in a cup of boiled water for 5 minutes. Then drink it after straining twice a day until symptoms disappear.
5- Sugarcane Maintains Sugar Level, Lowers Acid Levels and Helps in Curing Jaundice
Sugarcane is a popular remedy to cure jaundice. During jaundice glucose level drops, the easy to digest sugar of sugarcane not only elevates energy level but also fastens the recovery procedure. The alkaline nature of sugarcane lowers the acid levels and keeps body hydrated.
- Take one cup of sugarcane juice an mix into it one teaspoon paste of basil leaves and take this drink twice a day for several weeks.
- Squeeze a half lemon in one glass of sugarcane juice and mix well. Then drink it daily 2 to 3 times for three weeks at least.
6- Ginger Ensures Proper Live Function in Jaundice Patients
Ginger detoxifies liver naturally that saves liver from different diseases and also ensures proper functionality of liver. Ginger drink to relieve jaundice can be making in following way.
- Squeeze ½ teaspoon of juice from fresh ginger.
- Add one teaspoon of mint juice and lime juice and one tablespoon of honey in it.
- Take this three times a day for two weeks.
7- Almonds Detoxify Blood, Heals Infections and Make Liver Healthy
Almonds have a good name in detoxifying blood, fighting against infections and maintaining healthy liver functionality. Fiber, magnesium, riboflavin, calcium and iron present in almonds guarantee good health of liver.
- Soak 8 to 10 almonds with 3 to 4 cardamoms and 2 to 3 dried dates for the whole night.
- Make almonds skinless and dates seedless next morning.
- Make a fine paste of all the ingredients in blender and mix 2 teaspoon sugar and one teaspoon butter in it.
- Once a day take this mixture for at least two weeks.
8- Use Papaya to Make Your Liver Healthy and Cure Jaundice At Home
Papaya is a very effective home remedy for liver problems from jaundice to liver cancer. Papaya leaves, fruit, bark and seeds all help in curing liver problems.
- Make a paste of soft leaves of papaya.
- Mix half teaspoon of this paste in one teaspoon of honey.
- Consume this paste daily for fast relief.
Home Remedies For Jaundice In Newborn Babies
Usually Jaundice goes away in newborn babies after 1-2 weeks. To speed up the process and cure your baby fast, here are some proven and effective natural home remedies:
1- Expose Your Baby to Sunlight
Sunlight is very important for your newborn suffering from Jaundice. Due to sunlight exposure, the bilirubin present in the body dissolves in the water easily and liver of baby needs lesser efforts to excrete bilirubin from the body. Net result is the fast recovery. With 2-3 days, you will observe that yellowish coloration of baby starts decreasing.
Expose your baby to direct sun light for 15 minutes in one session. Do 4-5 sessions (of 15 minutes) every day.
2- Wheat Grass Juice to Cure Jaundice in Newborn Babies
Mother should drink around 2 ounces of wheat grass juice every day. The effect will be passed to breastfeeding baby. The wheat grass juice is effective in baby jaundice because it improves the functionality and actions of enzymes in the liver. As a result the bilirubin is effectively excreted out from the body and symptoms of Jaundice in baby are gone within few days.
3- Frequent Breastfeeding Helps in Baby Jaundice
Frequent breastfeeding keeps the body of baby hydrated. Breastfeed your baby after every 3 hours and also when/if she wakes up. This helps in excreting bilirubin from the body.
4- Herbal Treatment For Jaundice In Neonates
There are many herbal remedies that are helpful in baby jaundice. These herbal remedies detoxify the body and result in lowering the jaundice symptoms. Newborn babies cannot take these herbal remedies. Instead mother should take the herbal supplements and effect will be passed to baby through breast milk. The names of effective herbs for baby jaundice include agrimony, catnip, comfrey leaf and Dandelion tea.
Homeopathic Treatment For Jaundice in Adults and Neonates/Newborns
Homeopathic medicines are considered as the safest medicines with almost no side effects when given correctly. Jaundice in newborn babies and adults can be treated successfully by addressing the root cause of illness. The liver function and immunity of body against disease is improved. Also the extra bilirubin is excreted from the body. All these effects result in the fast recovery from Jaundice.
Following are some of the homeopathic medicines usually given to the patients of Jaundice (Adults or newborn babies):
- Nux vomica
- and many others
Please note that homeopathic medicines are given after carefully study of signs and symptoms present in the patient. Medicines of one jaundice patient may be entirely different from other jaundice patient due to change in complete picture of symptoms. Don’t ever try any medicine yourself without consulting an experienced homeopathic doctor.
Ayurvedic Treatment and Home Remedies For Jaundice
Following are some great Ayurvedic home remedies to cure Jaundice fast naturally. Adult patients can take these remedies themselves. For newborn patients, mothers of breastfed babies should use them, so that effect is passed through breast milk to babies.
1- Aloe Vera to Detoxify Liver and Cure Jaundice
Aloe Vera juice should be given to patients of Jaundice two times a day. Aloe Vera is known to improve the functioning of liver and detoxify the body. Overall effects are reduced bilirubin in the body and fast cure.
2- Bark of Pipal Tree (Ficus religiosa) is Ayurvedic Remedy to Treat Jaundice
Ficus religiosa tree is common in Indian subcontinent. Other common names for this tree are Pippal tree, sacred fig, bodhi tree, ashwattha tree or pippala tree. Ayurvedic Home remedy is very simple. Just take a bark of tree, soak in water for the whole night and drink the water in morning. The excessive bilirubin will be flushed out from body through urination.