Table of Contents
- What is Insomnia or Sleeplessness?
- What Are Signs and Symptoms of Insomnia?
- 2 Types of Insomnia:
- Difference Between Acute and Chronic Insomnia
- What Are Main Causes of Insomnia
- 9 Natural Home Remedies to Treat Insomnia
- 1- Warm Milk + Honey At Night Can Help In Sleeping Well
- 2- No-Caffeine Chamomile Tea For Treating Insomnia
- 3- Lavender Herbal Oil Massage For Relaxation and Sleeping Well
- 4- Bubble Bath, Essential Oils and Aromatic Candles For Good Sleep
- 5- Keep Your Room Colors and Lights Suitable To Treat Insomnia
- 6- Did You Try Counting Technique To Get Asleep?
- 7- Sleeping on Empty Stomach May Increase Irritation and Difficult to Sleep
- 8- Medicines
- 9- Yoga For Insomnia
- Additional Tip: Get a Comfortable Pillow and Bed For Good Sleep
- What To Do If Insomnia Persists for More Than A Week?
- Video: Explaining What is Insomnia and What Are Top Causes:
What is Insomnia or Sleeplessness?
It is vital for every person to sleep for 7-8 hours a day. Sleep deprivation causes unrest and mood swings throughout the day. Insomnia refers to the difficulty in going and staying asleep. It is a worldwide phenomenon, which affects most of the individual at some point in their lives. The person might sleep, but wakes up instantly for no apparent reason.
What Are Signs and Symptoms of Insomnia?
The prominent symptoms include trouble in falling asleep at night, lethargy, lack of concentration, extreme mood swings, swollen eyes, increased blood pressure, irritability, stressed muscles and constant urge to sleep during the daytime.
2 Types of Insomnia:
Insomnia can be broadly categorized into 2 main types called primary and secondary insomnia.
What is Primary Insomnia:
When a person is suffering from insomnia or sleep problems that are not caused by any other medical condition, medication or pain then it is called Primary Insomnia. This type of insomnia is usually easy to treat and cure.
What is Secondary Insomnia:
In secondary insomnia patient have sleep issues that are caused by other factors. The main factor may be some medical conditions like stress, depression, asthma, cancer. Sometimes a patient taking certain medicines also suffer from sleep disorders. This is due to side effects of those medicines. Secondary insomnia is usually hard to treat.
Difference Between Acute and Chronic Insomnia
Acute Insomnia is the short term insomnia where patient has sleep problems for one or more nights. The chronic insomnia is a long term condition in which patient is suffering from sleep difficulties for many months or years.
What Are Main Causes of Insomnia
Every abnormal routine is caused by an underlying cause. In case of insomnia, the causes can be:
- Drinking or gulping down too much caffeinated beverages and foods.
- Taking stress and tension extra seriously.
- Continuous disturbance of the sleep patterns, mostly applied on frequent travelers.
- Side effects of certain medicines.
- Relying too much on sleeping pills.
- Fast paced lifestyles.
- Pregnancy (Insomnia during pregnancy is common. Will discuss about pregnancy insomnia in next article)
- Post-menopause (After menopause insomnia is common in women.)
9 Natural Home Remedies to Treat Insomnia
Do not spend your hard earned money on the drugs, which cause long term damage to the brain cells. Opt for some home remedies, which are more effective.
1- Warm Milk + Honey At Night Can Help In Sleeping Well
Develop a habit of having a warm cup of milk with sugar or honey for a good night’s sleep. It is enriched with components that relax your brain and you fall asleep more easily. Milk has special amino acids called Tryptophan that are known to induce sleep. The sleep inducing effect of milk is increased when it is warm. That’s why it is highly recommended to take a cup of warm milk just before going to bed. After this turn off the lights, don’t play with your cell phone and close your eyes to sleep.
2- No-Caffeine Chamomile Tea For Treating Insomnia
Chamomile tea is the best tea that you can have to fall asleep. Unlike green and black tea, it has no caffeine. The relaxing aromatic cup of tea will make you sleep like a baby. Store bought tea bags are available everywhere.
3- Lavender Herbal Oil Massage For Relaxation and Sleeping Well
Lavender oil is one of the most soothing herbal oil that you can find. Massage your forehead with it or put few drops on your pillow, in either way it will help you doze off instantly. Alternatively you can use its flower petals, or even place its plant nearby. The beautiful fragrance will provide the necessary aroma and you will sleep better.
4- Bubble Bath, Essential Oils and Aromatic Candles For Good Sleep
You can try bubble bath or shower just before the sleeping time too. Use essential oils or aromatic candles to relax yourself. The BP (blood pressure) tends to get low after taking shower, and when you also use relaxing aromas, a deep resting sleep is guaranteed.
5- Keep Your Room Colors and Lights Suitable To Treat Insomnia
Keep the lights low in your bedroom. Use the opaque drapes, light up a lamp and paint the walls in dark colors to create perfect ambience of sleep.
6- Did You Try Counting Technique To Get Asleep?
Remember that counting technique your grandma told you? Well, now that you are older you know that she taught you right.
7- Sleeping on Empty Stomach May Increase Irritation and Difficult to Sleep
Never sleep on an empty stomach. But do not go to bed right after having dinner. Have a brisk walk for few minutes in open air as it will put off you to sleep quickly and pleasantly.
Adjust the time of your medications, and avoid them as much as you can.
9- Yoga For Insomnia
Many individuals swear upon yoga and meditating techniques. Find the yoga that suits you the best, as it is easy and you can improve your overall health by regular practice.
You can excel in the life only if you do not suffer from sleep deprivation. Solve the insomnia by easy home remedies that do not take extra effort. Happy Sleeping!
Additional Tip: Get a Comfortable Pillow and Bed For Good Sleep
Sometimes, you just cannot get asleep properly because your bed or pillow or both are not comfortable. Please note that your body needs to be in relaxed mode for proper and deep sleep. If your mattress has been in use for last many years, replace it with new one. Similarly your pillow should not be very hard or very soft. Find the best pillow that gives you best feelings and you may get good sleep easily and fast.
What To Do If Insomnia Persists for More Than A Week?
Please note that if your condition persists for more than a week, it is highly recommended to consult your physician. In some cases your physician may refer you to a Psychotherapist because a common main factor causing insomnia is anxiety or depression.
Video: Explaining What is Insomnia and What Are Top Causes:
Checkout this short video in which Dr. Koniver (a well know organic medicines physician) explaining what is Insomnia and tells the top factors causing this condition in most of the people. You will also tips to overcome this condition naturally.
- What is Insomnia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia)
- Causes and Symptoms of Insomnia (http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/insomnia-symptoms-and-causes)
- Insomnia and Sleep Difficulties (http://www.braincorenc.com/Default.aspx?rd=4719&rn=Insomnia)