Table of Contents
- What is Milk of Magnesia?
- Benefits of Using Milk of Magnesia For Infant Constipation
- Right Time To Use Milk of Magnesia For Infants Constipation
- Preferred Doses and Precautions While Using Milk of Magnesia
- Effectiveness and More Benefits of Milk of Magnesia
- Possible Side Effects of Milk of Magnesia and How To Avoid
What is Milk of Magnesia?
Milk of Magnesia is a medication containing Magnesium Hydroxide used to treat constipation in adults as well as infants. It is categorized as hyperosmotic laxative that enhances bowel activity by providing water to it. Milk of Magnesia is a fast acting laxative being saline in nature and provides a quick remedy of constipation in infants. It is effective only in case of temporary constipation and not for chronic one.
Benefits of Using Milk of Magnesia For Infant Constipation
Milk of Magnesia is a laxative, oral osmotic, which cures the constipation in infants by regulating the proper movement of bowel. It restores the desired amount of water needed by colon to function properly extracting from its surrounding tissues. This water in colon softens the stool and makes easy excretion from the body possible. Thus the infants suffering from temporary constipation get relief in the period of half an hour to 6 hours depending on the condition.
Right Time To Use Milk of Magnesia For Infants Constipation
Milk of Magnesia needs about 6 hours to show results in case of severe constipation. Thus it is suitable to take it in the night so that the infant gets relief while sleeping with ease. If the desired result is not achieved then the doze is supposed to increase but with the permission of the doctor. Never use the medicine for a long time if the problem is not solved as it can cause damage to the health of the infant.
Preferred Doses and Precautions While Using Milk of Magnesia
The dose of milk of Magnesia is dependent on the medical condition of infants or the way their body reacts to this cure of constipation. Normally 1 to 2 tablespoons are enough for infants to help constipation but it is best to follow the instructions of the physician for the dose. A longer use or improper dosage of medicine can lead to severe conditions.
It is important to consider following measures before using milk of Magnesia as constipation remedies:
- Only one dose per day is suggested
- It is suggested to shake the medicine well before use
- Measure amount of dose with great care to avoid harmful effects
- Drink adequate water with every dose
- Use measuring cup accompanied instead of ordinary tablespoon
- Do not use milk of Magnesia for more than a weak
- Strictly follow the instructions of physician in order to start and stop or dose of milk of Magnesia
Effectiveness and More Benefits of Milk of Magnesia
Milk of Magnesia is highly effective in controlling issues associated with stomach. It is easy to find medicine available even without prescription of doctor. Milk of Magnesia is widely used for the following reasons:
- Highly effective laxative
- Antacid in nature
- Cures disturbed stomach and indigestion
- Remedy for heart burn
Possible Side Effects of Milk of Magnesia and How To Avoid
Overdose of milk of Magnesia can cause some negative effects in infants that need to be consulted to the doctor on urgent basis:
- Stomach cramps
- Severe nausea
- Drowsiness and lower rate of heartbeat