Table of Contents
What is Norvasc?
Norvasc is a drug containing Amlodipine as active ingredient suitable for controlling blood pressure inside the blood vessels. Norvasc or Amlodipine basically dilates the blood arteries by blocking the entrance of the calcium in these arteries and heart muscles. This dilation or widening of the vessels results in the slow passage of the blood and eventually a lower blood pressure. Thus the chances of hypertension and risks associated to it are controlled very effectively.
Why Norvasc is Used?
Amlodipine is given to a hypertension patient to lower the blood pressure to normal rate. The medicine may be used individually or in combination with other medicines for desired results. Norvasc is used to minimize the risk of:
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Different types of Angina
- Stroke and heart attack
Norvasc is also used as off label medicine for:
- Migraines and cluster headache
- Raynaud’s syndrome
- Congestive cardiac failure
What Are Side Effects of Norvasc (Amlodipine)
Norvasc has been successfully used for curing high blood pressure but it can also result in some unfavorable conditions. Whatever the condition is, it is better to call a doctor as soon as possible as a safe measure. Following are common side effects of this medicine:
- Swelling in different limbs of body
- Nausea, headache and sweating
- Chest and stomach ache
- Fatigue and drowsiness
- Severe constipation
- Difficulty in breathing and hypotension in case of overdose
Does Norvasc (Amlodipine) Cause Constipation?
As mentioned above one of the common side effects of this medicine is constipation. The consumption of Amlodipine or Norvasc may possibly increase the risk of constipation on a high level. Norvasc is recommended to the hypertension patient for a long period of time possibly the lifetime. The use of Amlodipine for such a long time causes a sluggish movement of the muscles and blood vessels that leads to constipated condition.
If you have to take this medicine then you should try following constipation remedies along with it.
Remedies for Constipation Caused By Norvasc
The constipation caused by Norvasc is not an uncontrollable issue and following consideration can lead to a better condition.
- Drink plenty of water after consulting with your physician. Normally 8 ounces is desired amount of liquid a day but the amount can be varied as per the condition of the patient or any kidney issue.
- Develop a habit to drink warm water before you feel the desire for bowel movement. This habit will maintain the smooth flow of waste in the intestine and easy passage out of the body.
- A habit of morning walk of at least 30 minutes and physical activity of 15-20 minutes before going to bed is the best thing you can do for minimizing the risk of constipation induced by Norvasc.
- Increase the amount of natural fiber by taking fruits and vegetables and avoid artificial fiber sources.
- Avoid food items that can worsen the condition while interacting with Norvasc.
- Use laxatives and stool softeners regularly with Norvasc to avoid high occurrence of hard and dried stool.
- Be in touch with your doctor.